Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Me vs. Thesis, Round 1: Thesis

Life overall has decreased in stressfulness since I last posted. In one respect, though, I'm still shaking in my shoes. I'm haunted by my thesis. Tonight while taking a shower, I thought, "Well, at least if I fail my thesis class, I'll at least graduate with one major." This is hopefully an exaggeration, but I feel a bit like the underdog in this battle.

I have a thesis question that was approved and discussed with my TA and professor. After meeting with another professor who does relevant research, I'm not so sure I can actually answer my own question! Correction. I could answer it, but the answer would be meaningless and unsubstantiated. So... I need to change the question slightly. On the bright side, I've met my first warm and welcoming Econ professor at Georgetown, and he's offered to give me assistance on this thesis journey. Thank you, God.

I can do it, I can do it, blah, blah, blah. Writing this thesis is not as simple as sitting down, reading some literature, and writing 30 pages about it. I could do that. It's about finding a (free) dataset, running a regression in a statistical program, and writing about my results. Several problems arise here. 1.) I currently can't find a free dataset. 2.) I'm not sure from dataset descriptions which datasets will be most useful. 3.) After I find the dataset, I anticipate struggling to input it into STATA. 4.) I will inevitably see alarming statistical problems that invalidate my results.

Blurgh, as Tina Fey would say. Blurgh and a half. Every once in a while, I come to an obstacle in academia that I can't wrap my mind around. For Calculus, it was Taylor and Mclaurin series. For Econ, it looks like its performing statistical regressions.

I'm trying to be proactive in in this epic struggle. I'm meeting with a librarian tomorrow to discuss datasets. I'm also instituting a daily 8:30AM wake-up call. Let's get ready to rumbbbbble! It's thesis time.

This only makes graduating easier. I will not miss this.

No comments: