Friday, August 15, 2008

Olympics Excitement, Pt. 2

The Chinese do in fact put on a good show, emphasis on the show and not reality. And they're dominating the gold medals race (26), but the US is on top for overall medals count (46). Why do I care? It's hard to tell, but I feel like I have something invested in this Olympics. I screamed at the tv when unlikely Belgium almost won the first set against Misty May and Kerri Walsh in beach volleyball, and I squirmed waiting for Shawn Johnson's scores in the women's individual all-around gymnastics.

It's possible that my interest is simply due to the fact that this is the first Olympics where I'm old enough to really know what's going on. True, I was a "mature" 17-year-old when Athens happened, but that still didn't mean I paid attention to the world. What else was I doing, you ask? Well, neither working nor studying. Not filling out college apps. Not really traveling. Somehow, I have zero recollection.

But I've turned over a new leaf. I'm making up for years of indifference by watching events as obscure as handball, archery, and cycling. So as I sit in my PBS cubicle watching MSNBC on mute, I say, "America, *@$# yeah!"

In non-Olympic news, it's been busy times here in DC. People are moving in and out of our house, and I'm getting steadily more excited for the year to start. It feels like I've been working a lot, but it'll soon taper off after the Patagonia sale. Back to work now.

To close, check out this video of US gymnast Alicia Sacramone knocking a guy out. Badass.

No comments: