Sunday, February 10, 2008

Happy Days

Ok, time for a happy entry. This past week, I just got a little tired of being away from the States and family and friends. I watched You've Got Mail three times to give you an idea of my dire straits. But then a series of good things happened.

1. I received a mixed cd from a friend at UCLA, combining the excitement of mail and new music all in one glorious yellow parcel.

2. I actually went climbing when other LSE climbers were there. Yes, I should've been making a greater effort to go when other people were going, but it takes some will power to drag myself climbing when class finished at 6PM Friday and work starts 9:30AM Saturday. Luckily, I had the will power this week and did my first lead climb (where you clip into the wall) to prepare for Sardinia. Afterwards we hit the pub and I rewarded my efforts with a pint of Kronenburg, my favorite beer here.

3. Jared's parents visited. More than just a complimentary dinner, I received a bit of the parental love that Jared couldn't absorb.

4. Work. I was exhausted today, but yesterday was fun somehow. For every asshole that claims prices are "puh-THET-ic" in that posh English accent, there's four or five customers that make you feel good about your day. And of course, my co-workers.

5. I read The Kite Runner and am possibly the last person on earth to finally read it. Anyways, I liked it a lot. I'm onto a new one called Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin which is good so far.

Alright. I'm going to a sold out concert tomorrow at the Institute of Contemporary Arts to see Noah & the Whale. Check them out.

3 comments:

Matt said...

hey jess, im in catalina island right now with very minimal internet access, so i just finished up a marathon gitnerblog sesh. im jealous of all the shows your going to and access to new music you have. im stuck listening to the same 30 gigs that ive had since i left, which isn't bad, but it does get a little tiresome. keep up the musical conquest so i can steal some good stuff next time i see you...

Jared said...

"I received a bit of the parental love that Jared couldn't absorb."

The surplus love needs to go somewhere sometimes...

Katy said...

I hope that you are the first and last person in history to watch You've Got Mail three times over one period of malaise. I'm glad to hear that you had some good times after that!