Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Boy George... is fabulous.

Not much new to report from London. I find myself exhausted if I've gotten anything less than 9 hours of sleep, which is strange and irrational. Tonight, I fell asleep on my bare mattress waiting for my laundry to get done.

What I really wanted to talk about was last Friday's Boy George concert that I attended at the Shaw Theatre. My aunt had extra tickets and although I would've never thought to go otherwise, I was more entertained by Boy George than by most of the other performer I've seen. His on-stage banter was top notch and his singing, despite a self-described comparison to Rod Stewart as a result of a sore throat, was great. Of course, he made fun of himself and his past arrests while also reminding the audience that he wasn't "just a street sweeper. I write songs too!"

I was really impressed by his repetoire. Before seeing him, I only knew "Karma Chameleon" and "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?". But he played some other Boy George originals that I really enjoyed as well as some really good reggae and covers like blues classic "I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl" and "Everything I Own."

Boy George really surprised me and while going to see him was a bit of a joke at first, I've definitely learned not to judge 80s pop stars before giving them a chance. Who would've thought Boy George was better than Van Morrison?

This video is from (one of) his performances at Shaw Theatre where I saw him on Friday. I'm not sure if this is the show I went to but he played this song. Really good.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Dude, this is sweet. Slash i keep randomly passing out, too ...